In early 2017, MATEC-IN partnered with the Indiana University Center for Interprofessional Health Education and Practice, as well as faculty from other local universities, to pilot the first Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in HIV Prevention and Care program. Twelve student volunteers from Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University School of Nursing, Chamberlin College of Nursing, Purdue College of Pharmacy, and Butler College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences participated in the pilot.
The program was designed to introduce the key principles of interprofessional collaboration and provide a foundational knowledge of HIV/AIDS. To successfully complete the program, students participated in individual and group assignments, online modules, two in-person day-long seminars, and a clinical observation experience at the Eskenazi Infectious Disease Clinic to see a real work example of an interprofessional team model. For the final assignment, the students worked in interprofessional teams to develop a care plan for an HIV-infected patient, which they presented for program faculty at the second face to face seminar.
Congratulations to our inaugural class for all their hard work:
The A Team:
- Jessica Ledyard, Indiana University School of Medicine
- McKenna Baker, Purdue College of Pharmacy
- Joshua Johnson, Butler College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Lisa McRee, Indiana University School of Nursing
- Aava Khatiwada, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Izzy Ruiz, Butler College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Hayley Thomason, Indiana University School of Nursing
- Vanessa Schneider, Chamberlin College of Nursing
MAKE Care Better Team:
- Melissa Knisley, Indiana University School of Nursing
- Alicia King, Chamberlin College of Nursing
- Kelly Murphy, Butler College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Emily Messmer, Purdue College of Pharmacy
With their thoughtful feedback and ideas, we hope to improve this program for future students.
For more information about the program, contact Malinda Boehler, Director, at email@example.com or (317) 880-3520.