On January 31, 2017, HealthHIV announced the updated and expanded professional development course: HealthHIV’s HIV Primary Care Training and Certificate Program™. The free online program, comprised of five, self-paced staged courses, has been designed to meet the educational needs of primary care providers (medical doctors, doctors of osteopathic medicine, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants) and other healthcare professionals involved in the care of individuals at-risk for or infected with HIV. Since its first offering in 2014, over 1,000 providers have taken the course. Based on HealthHIV’s proven Staged Training to Engage Providers (STEP) model, the course allows providers to develop new skills and competencies to optimize the quality of care they provide.
Upon completion of all five CME course activities and a final exam, participants receive a Certificate of Proficiency in HIV in Primary Care. Each activity ranges between .75 and 1.0 credit hours and is approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Course Topics and Faculty:
- HIV Management in Primary Care: Foundations Course – Donna Sweet, MD, MACP
- Core Skills for HIV Management in the Primary Care Setting – Kathy Brown, MD, FACP; Susan LeLacheur, DrPH, PA-C; Donna Sweet, MD, MACP
- Considerations in the Management of HIV in Older Adults – Jonathan Applebaum, MD, FACP; Kathy Brown, MD, FACP
- Improving Communication in the Clinical Setting – Jonathan Applebaum, MD, FACP; Susan LeLacheur, DrPH, PA-C
- Assessment and Treatment Decisions in HIV/HCV Co-infection – Christian Ramers, MD, MPH
Participants also can access a new CME course: “PrEP in Clinical Practice: Assessing HIV Risk and Supporting PrEP Adherence to Maximize HIV Prevention” provides a conversation-style Webcast to address features of a sexual history that identify PrEP candidates, integrating the PrEP cascade in clinical practice, and the impact of adherence and nondaily dosing on PrEP effectiveness. Faculty for this course are Richard Elion, MD; Robert M. Grant, MD, MPH; Dázon Dixon Diallo, DHL, MPH. This activity has been approved for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. This PrEP CME activity is co-sponsored by Med-IQ, HealthHIV, National Coalition for LGBT Health, and Pozitively Healthy.
Learn more at HealthHIV.